a Pecan Shell
community was settled along Murval Creek in the 1860s and originally took the
name Murval. Prior to Murval’s settlement, a town named Gibson was nearby.
It too was named after a creek. (Murval and Gibson Creeks connect.) The community
had a post office as early as 1853.
1892 to 1905 the community became known as Needmore by the county newspaper
referring to it by that name. This lighthearted name was adopted by county residents
and remained until it was discovered that there was already an “official” Needmore
in Terry County.
In the mid 1890s a hotel was built to accommodate people
coming to recently discovered Welch Springs.
current name comes from a county election. In 1900 it was Charles L. Brachfield
who visited the town and stood in a recently cleared field (which is why campaigns
call them stump speeches) to deliver his message. A new post office was renamed
that year but only stayed active until 1906.
Early population figures aren’t
available but Brachfield peaked in the 1950s and 60s with around 80 residents.
The 1990 census reported around 30 which rose to 40 by 2000.
Brachfield Historical Marker|
Photo courtesy Gerald
Massey, April 2011
Rusk County Postal Map showing Brachfield|
(Under "S" in "RUSK")
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
or vintage/historic photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here