a Pecan Shell
Named after a nearby
spring of the same name, the community was settled just prior to the
The community has very little history available and no population
figures at all. In the 1930 there were a few houses scattered around
a church and a school but the school disappeared after WWII.
The town had virtually disappeared by the 1990s - with just the cemetery,
church and a few houses.
Carroll Springs is essentially the church and cemetery. It is about
12 miles SE of Athens
on CR 4600 about a mile east of Hwy 19.
United Methodist Church
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, August 2013
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact