Cass County, East
About 12 Miles NW of Linden
Near the margins of the Cusseta “Mountains”
Texas Area Hotels > Atlanta
a Pecan Shell
the 1850s, settler John Heard is credited with naming the community
after his hometown back in Alabama.
In 1856 a post office was granted. By the mid 1880s, Cusseta had a
respectable population of 100 and the community had two cotton gins
as well as a gristmill.
But by 1896, the population declined by half, returning to 100 by
1914. In 1933 as the Great Depression was worsening, the population
again fell – this time to 60.
The town held on through the 40s, 50s and 60s, with no significant
disasters or catastrophies to report. The 1990 census counted 30 residents,
the same number was used for the 2000 count.
|Cass County map
Modification of Texas General Land Office 1920s map
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered
and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local
history and vintage/historic photos, please contact