in a Pecan ShellGrist
and sawnill operator John Furrh is the namesake of this small community. Furrh’s
son had learned operations from the father and started his own operation here
in the mid 1880s.
The community didn’t get a post office until 1898 but
by 1917 it had closed its doors. The population was estimated at 150 for 1914
when the community had two stores as well as a cotton gin and its gristmill.
By the mid-1930s Furrh was reduced to a single store supported by 62 scattered
residents. Increased mobility after WWII
caused the store to close and the population dwindled further. By 1990 it had
been declared a “dispersed rural community” The 2000 census used the same figure.
Furrh, Texas by David Knape
Panola County Postal Map showing Furrh
NE of Carthage
Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here