History in a Pecan
the county being formed (1846), the site had a large plantation (whose name is
lost to history). It had been abandoned prior to the Civil War and new settlers
began arriving before the war was over.
There were enough people to justify
a post office and one opened in 1875. Postmaster Wiley Florence is credited with
naming the town after the existing Glenwood Methodist Church (which also served
as a school).
In the mid 1880s Glenwood’s post office operated alongside
a store. Cotton gin and gristmill with a population estimated at 100. It peaked
in 1914 with 215 residents but declined shortly after WWI,
losing it’s post office.
By the time the Great Depression arrived, only
the church, school and store were left. The 1940 census counted 90 residents.
school merged with another after WWII
and although the population has increased to 150, it is still regarded as a dispersed
has suffered the fate of many towns by being bypassed by a new highway. On some
older maps Glenwood is shown on two-lane State Highway 300, however a much straighter
high speed, four-lane highway has been constructed one mile to the west, leaving
Glenwood as a virtual ghost town.” - Gerald
Massey, April 30, 2012
County TX 1907 Postal Map showing Glenwood, SE of Gilmer
"HU" in "UPSHUR")
Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here