TEXAS Smith County,
FM 2493 and FM 2813
9 1/2 Miles S of Tyler
N of Flint
Population: 100 (2000)
Texas Area Hotels > Tyler
a Pecan Shell
The community began in 1877 alongside the tracks of the St. Louis Southwestern
Railroad. The town reported a cotton gin in operation after 1900, although the
population had only reached 20 by 1910.
The Gresham Baptist Church was
organized in the Fall of 1912. It hasn’t been recorded how hard Gresham was hit
by the Great Depression, but six or seven businesses survived.
population was reportedly 100 – the same number given for the 2000 census, although
the number of businesses was reduced to only four.
attended classes in nearby Flint in the 1950s although
in the late 1960s the schools were merged with the Bullard
Mansion that was moved from Tyler.
(Many historic homes located in downtown Tyler
were torn down in the 1950's and 60's when Broadway was expanded around the time
the new courthouse was built.) The house was moved to Gresham instead of being
torn down. There's a Historic Medallion on the front of the house." - LM|
Texas Historic Homes
Grave With Church in Background (Single Grave) looks to be the only grave in the
small fenced area across from Baptist Church.|
Smith County Map showing Gresham|
"S" in "SMITH")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here