in a Pecan Shell|
Once known as Hamilís Chapel after
the Civil War, Grice came into being in the late 1880s. John J. Grice opened a
store here around 1890 and became the community postmaster. By the mid 1890s,
Grice had the store as well as a gin and gristmill.
The population at that
time was estimated to be 24 and the community built its first school around the
turn of the century. Although it appeared to be leaning toward growth, Grice was
bypassed by the approaching Marshall and East Texas Railroad. Most of the already
thin populace abandoned the town and the post office closed in 1905.
managed to retain its school, two churches, and a few stores,during the Great
Depression even though the population declined to a mere 20 residents.
Grice school merged with the Harmony school district in the mid-1960s and today
Grice consists of its cemetery, a church, scattered residences and the population
is still estimated to be 20.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
or vintage/historic photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here