in a Pecan Shell
The community began life in the 1880s when it was then known as Know,
Texas. After the community received a post office in 1894, it
was changed to Latch, after major landowner and sawmill operator L.
In the 1890s the town built churches and a school. The first store
was opened about this time and the post office closed its doors in
As the trees disappeared into lumber and sawdust, Latch (the man)
switched professions, closing the sawmill and opening a cotton gin.
Latch’s population was estimated at fifty during the Great Depression
– the same figure used for the 2000 census. Latch, with no discernable
town center is now described as “a dispersed community.”
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact