TEXAS Houston County,
U.S. Highway 287 and State Highway 19
6.5 Miles N of Crockett
in a Pecan Shell|
Settlement dates back to the early 1870s
when it was first known as Stark's Switch, for a siding that connected
to a sawmill. The community grew around the International and Great Northern Railroad
tracks and seemed comfortable with the name until 1900 when the Louisiana Texas
Orchard Company (LA TEX O) bought 3,000 acres near the community.
town was laid out and a post office appeared in 1907 under the new name. By 1914
the population was a healthy 200 townsfolk served by two stores and two doctors.
and cotton became the town’s lifeblood and, of course, lumber from the sawmill.
population had doubled by the start of the Great Depression and the town managed
to get through the 30s intact. But the post war years weren’t kind to Latexo and
the 1950 census showed only 100 residents remained.
The town stagnated
through the 1960s and early 1970s, staying just below the 100 resident count.
Growth began in the mid 1970s and the 1990 census showed a count of over 300 people
served by four businesses.
During the 1980s the community added a new city
hall, school and fire station. The 2000 census counted 272 people.
County TX 1920 Map showing Latexo|
N of Crockett
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here