FM 2683 and FM 248
9 Miles NE of Jefferson
in a Pecan Shell|
Facts on the founding are scarce but it seems
to have developed around a station of the Texas and Pacific Railroad when
it headed west in the 1870s. At the time of its opening in 1876, the postmaster
named the new office after his birthplace in Italy. Lodi's population was 75 in
the mid 1880s when there were no fewer than two steam sawmills and three general
stores. In 1904 the population was 133, swelling to a high of 175 by the mid 20s.
It declined to 150 during the Great Depression and remained at that number through
the 50s when the school consolidated with the Jefferson
ISD. Lodi had an estimated population of 100 in the 60s and by the end of that
decade it increased to 164 - the figure that has been used ever since.
burned Mt. Moriah Church (?) East of Lodi|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, April 2006