in a Pecan ShellThe
region had been settled by plantation owners prior to the Civil War. The namesake
of the town was local storeowner Spencer Midyett. When a post office was applied
for in 1887, Spencer submitted his name and (as happened in many early communities
in Texas) became the community’s postmaster.
By 1914 Midyett had added
an additional store and the population had grown to 100. In 1920 the post office
ceased operation and the local school merged with those in Carthage
in the 1940s. Now labeled a “dispersed community,” Midyett has a few houses as
well as a church and cemetery.
Panola County Postal Map showing Midyett
NE of Carthage
Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here