a Pecan Shell
Settlement is said
to coincide with the construction of a log church in 1843. John and
Henry Mims were the community namesakes. The log church had been replaced
and the new Methodist Church was named after the Mims Brothers who
had acquired the church site.
Texas' first iron foundry was built here in 1847 by a man named Jefferson
S. Nash. Built along Alley's Creek, a post office opened under the
name Alley's Mills, Texas in 1852. In 1861 the post office
changed it's name to Nash's Foundry, Texas.
Prior to the Civil War, it was reported the foundry had successfully
processed a modest five tons of iron, nevertheless, this was a considerable
asset for the Confederate States for the up-coming war. The Confederate
renamed both post office and foundry the "Texas Iron Works."
Due to limited production, Nash sold the foundry to the Kelly Plow
Company - even while the war continued. Equipment was painstakingly
moved to Kellyville, Texas.
The post office reverted to Nash's Foundry once the war ended.
It was discontinued by 1868 but in 1970, a new post office emerged
- this one named Mim's Store. Just when postal authorities
though the name might be permanent, it was changed again in 1880 to
Mim's Chapel. But wait! There were more changes to come. The
post office was renamed once again in 1885. There seems to be a question
over whether the post office moved to Amicus, Texas.
Amicus consisted of a store run by a family named Taylor. The location
was on or near the former site of Mim's Store. The population of this
community was a modest 25 residents, With one J. W. Mims as justice
of the peace. But all the renamed is academic in the end, for the
post office was the last one the community had. It closed in 1906.
The community attempted to exploit iron ore once more. In 1911 a railroad
was planned but only a short length of track was laid. WWI
interfered with construction and by 1927 all thoughts of rejuvenation
The school was consolidated with Lassater
by 1955 and the community was reduced to scattered houses and a cemetery.
No population figures are currently available.
Subject: Some thoughts about
the article on Mim's Store:
1) It closed in Jan 1885 and Amicus opened in December 1885. It was
located a couple of miles southeast of Mims, and the post office did
not mention "moved to" or "name changed" as it normally did when there
was an evolution. So Amicus was a separate office.
2) Nash's Foundry (AKA Alley's Mills, then Texas Iron Works) was the
same distance from Mims but due east.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact