on a PinheadAnother
one of Texas’ backward spellings (Saxet, Sacul,
et. al.), this name was formed by reversing the name of a local family.
started as a flag stop on the railroad sometime before 1900. It never developed
a commercial district or even a school. Local children attended classes at nearby
Gafford’s Chapel. Although there were several businesses, the town’s nearness
to Sulphur Springs dashed
hopes of development. Its history, what little there is, is to be found in the
Hopkins County archives.
It was dropped from maps years ago and was firmly
a ghost by the late 1950s or early 60s.
County 1920s Map showing Tenrag|
"P" in "HOPKINS")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories and/or vintage/historic/contemporary
photos, please contact