TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map

Anderson County TX
Anderson County

Texas Towns
A - Z
Palestine Hotels

More Hotels

TUCKER, TEXAS

Anderson County, East Texas

31 40' 25" N, 95 44' 53" W (31.673611, -95.748056)

US Hwys 84 and 79
2 miles from the Trinity River
8 miles SW of Palestine the county seat
Population: 509 est. (2010) 304 ( 2000)

Book Hotel Here › Palestine Hotels
Tucker Texas city limit sign
Entering Tucker from the south on US79/84.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, July 2007

History in a Pecan Shell

Settlement began just after the Civil War when Freedmen from the Long Lake cotton plantation organized the Green Bay AME Church. The name Green Bay also designated two Black schools. A white community called Prairie Point developed even though the Black section kept the name Green Bay. With the arrival of the IG & N railroad in 1872, a post office was granted under the name Prairie Point. In 1882 both post office and town were renamed to honor storekeeper and landowner W. H. Tucker.

The population of Tucker was estimated at 40 during the 1880s and by the mid-1890s it had grown to an estimated 150 citizens. Although the post office closed in 1905, oil exploration began in 1913. After many dry holes, finally in the early 30s profitable oil and gas wells came in and a small refinery was built. Despite the oil, the population remained about 60 through the Great Depression. By the mid 1960s the population had fallen to a mere 40 people. From the late 70s through 1990 the estimated population was just over 300. The oilfield is still in production although the refinery has since shut down.
Tucker Texas former Green Bay High School, now Tucker community center
The former Green Bay High School
now serves as the community center.

Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, July 2007
Tucker, Texas, Greenbay High School historical marker
Green Bay High School historical marker
Photo courtesy Erik Whetstone, October 2005
Historical Marker

Green Bay High School

Green Bay High School traces its origin to October 11, 1889, when eleven black men of the community formed a board of trustees and organized a school for the area's black children. The first school facility was provided by Green Bay Methodist Church. New school buildings erected in the early 1900s also housed the Mt. Sinai Masonic Lodge. Many dedicated teachers served in the Green Bay School, and students from a large rural area attended the school from its creation until desegration of area school systems was achieved in 1966.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Green Bay A.M.E. Church in Tucker., Texas
Green Bay Green Bay A.M.E. Church in Tucker.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, July 2007
Historical Marker:

Green Bay A.M.E. Church

This congregation traces its history to 1866, when a group of black workers at the Long Lake Cotton Plantation gathered together informally to organize a church. The following year the owners of the plantation designated a plot of land on which the workers built a sanctuary, known as Green Bay Church. In 1868 the congregation was formally recognized by the African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) denomination and was renamed Green Bay A.M.E. Church. It was the first church in the Long Lake area.

In 1870 members of the church organized a day school for their children which became known as Green Bay School. When the church was moved to this site in 1887, school classes were held in the church building until a new school facility was erected in 1899. The church continued to grow in its new location. Missionary activities included the establishment of two new congregations in the Tucker vicinity: New Salem Church and Bailey Chapel. Construction of a new sanctuary at this site began in 1956 and was completed in 1959. Still an active congregation, Green Bay A.M.E. Church continues to serve the community with worship and outreach.
(1989)
Green Bay A.M.E. Church ihistorical marker, Tucker., Texas
Green Bay A.M.E. Church Historical marker
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, July 2007
Tucker Church of God in Christ, Tucker Texas
Tucker Church of God in Christ, a few blocks west off US 79/84.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, July 2007

Take a road trip

Tucker, Texas Nearby Towns:
Palestine the county seat
See Anderson County

East Texas

Book Hotel Here:
Palestine Hotels | More Hotels
Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact us.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Texas Towns A - Z Texas Regions:
Gulf Texas Gulf Coast East East Texas North Central Texas North Central Woutn Central Texas South Panhandle Texas Panhandle
South South Texas Hill Texas Hill Country West West Texas Ghost Texas Ghost Towns counties Texas Counties

Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Home »
TEXAS TOWNS & COUNTIES TEXAS LANDMARKS & IMAGES TEXAS HISTORY & CULTURE TEXAS OUTDOORS MORE
Texas Counties
Texas Towns A-Z
Texas Ghost Towns

TEXAS REGIONS:
Central Texas North
Central Texas South
Texas Gulf Coast
Texas Panhandle
Texas Hill Country
East Texas
South Texas
West Texas

Courthouses
Jails
Churches
Schoolhouses
Bridges
Theaters
Depots
Rooms with a Past
Monuments
Statues

Gas Stations
Post Offices
Museums
Water Towers
Grain Elevators
Lodges
Stores
Banks

Vintage Photos
Historic Trees
Cemeteries
Old Neon
Ghost Signs
Signs
Murals
Gargoyles
Pitted Dates
Cornerstones
Then & Now

Columns: History/Opinion
Texas History
Small Town Sagas
Black History
WWII
Texas Centennial
Ghosts
People
Animals
Food
Music
Art

Books
Texas Railroads

Texas Trips
Texas Drives
Texas State Parks
Texas Rivers
Texas Lakes
Texas Forts
Texas Trails
Texas Maps
USA
MEXICO
HOTELS

Site Map
About Us
Privacy Statement
Disclaimer
Contributors
Staff
Contact Us

 
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved