| The Urbana Depot,
built in 1911, now stands in the Old Coldspring townsite in Coldspring,
Photo courtesy Terry
Jeanson, November 2014
in a Pecan Shell
S.P. Coughlin named it for his former home when the railroad came
through this part of San
Jacinto County. In this case, the railroad was the Houston East
and West Railroad.
The area was ideal for cotton farming
and early in the 20th Century when deposits of sand and gravelwere
discovered, it started another local industry.
In 1914 a post office was granted although no early population figures
are available. The first figures available are from the mid 1920s
when 75 residents were reported. The Boll
Weevil, the Great Depression, WWII
and postwar prosperity hit the town hard. There were only 10 people
by the mid 1970s – a figure that was reported through the 1990 census.
It swelled to 25 residents in 2000.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact