Merchantile Store & Aquilares Post Office c. 1911
Photo Courtesy Pablo Garcia
More Texas Post
in a Pecan Shell
Aguilares dates from the 1870s and was named after first settlers
and ranchers José, Locario, Francisco, Próspero, and Librado Aguilar.
It became a stop on the Texas-Mexican Railroad in 1881 and was granted
a post office nine years later. The population (thought to be a huge
exaggeration) was given as 1,500 in 1910 - but four years later it
was reportedly a mere 300. The Aguilar family owned a store - one
of the town's two businesses.
Oil was discovered nearby in Oilton
and for a short time the town seemed to have a future - but although
(or because) it was on a railroad - it lost population to the nearby
county seat of Laredo. In
the 1930s the post office was discontinued and in 1939 Aquilares'
population was given as 10.
It rose to 25 by 1945 but the 1990 census again reported ten residents.
Aguilares modest claim to fame was being the birthplace of television
and movie character actor Pedro
A Guy So Nice - They Named Him Twice
Almost literally "born in a trunk" - Pedro Gonzalez-Gonzalez
entered the world in Aquilares, Texas (now considered a ghost
town) in 1926. His mother was a dancer from Mexico and his father
was a trumpet player from Floresville, Texas. Mrs. Gonzalez performed
under the stage name "La Perla Fronteriza" (Pearl of the Frontier"
and reportedly once danced for Francisco "Poncho" Villa and his troops
during one or another of the Mexican Revolutions. ... more
County 1920s map showing Aguilares
(Below "B" in "WEBB")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact