in a Pecan Shell|
There's not too much to report on this Cactus, which is about as far away
as it can be from Texas' other town named Cactus
up in Moore County. This town began as a shipping point on the IG & N railroad
in 1881. It had a post office in operation from 1884 until 1916 and although a
school enrolled as many as 45 students in 1907, the overall population of the
town proper never went over fifty after 1892. By the end of the 1940s there was
only 25 people in Cactus and for the years 1968 through the early 1990s, there
were no figures available.
A gas station / grocery was reportedly open
in the 1980s and the local cememtery is shown on county maps.
Webb County Texas postal map showing Cactus, N of Laredo
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
and vintage/historic photos of their town, please contact