a Pecan Shell
One of the oldest
towns in the county, it was named after Santa Cruz de Concepción.
Initially the town was part of a Spanish land grant to Francisco Cordente.
It's recent history began with the granting of a post office in 1873.
Evelen years later the town was thriving with an estimated population
of 600. Don Julian Palacios, a local sheep rancher was elected Justice
of the Peace for the area and the town reportedly had a (a much more
realistic) population of 100 by the early 1890s.
The Concepcion school reported 64 pupils enrolled for the 1906-07
school year. An attempt to split Duval into two counties was instigated
by local political boss Archer Parr. Parr and his supporters wanted
Benavides to be the
new county seat, but although an election was held, the legislation
authorizing a new county was found to be in violation of the state
By 1914 the population was reported to be 150. Estimates varied greatly
from a low of 75 to a high-water mark of 500 in 1927. The agreeded-upon
figure of 75 was used from the mid 1930s through the mid 1960s. The
Concepcion school eventually merged with Benavides
schools. The town was described as having "a few scattered dwellings,
a church, and one business" in 1968. The population of 25 has been
in use from the early 70s to the present.
Conception still appears on the state map and the detailed TXDoT map
of Duval county shows seven cemeteries within a few miles of the town.
Photo courtesy Gerald
Massey, October 2010
County map showing Concepcion (SE Duval County)
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact