in a Pecan Shell
Settlement began around the late 1850s in this predominately German/
Polish region of Texas. The local landmark
of the “Old Rock Church” was once the site of vigilante trials, headed
by Charles Westermann and Drake Gilliland.
A post office was granted by 1868, and with this anchor, the town
started growing. In the early 1890s, the population was still a modest
100, but the residents were serviced by no less than three general
stores and essential businesses.
By the mid 1890s, the community had built a school. Sixty-seven students
were taught by two teachers. In 1908 mail was routed through Floresville
and the Fairview post office closed. The town entered into a decline
even before the Great Depression and shortly after WWII
there were only 50 residents to give their names to the census enumerator.
Fairview’s decline has been reversed in recent years and by 1990 it
had increased to 322 people, served by several businesses and two
churches. The same number of people appear on the 2006 state map.
historical marker on FM 536 & 2505
Reveley, , March 2008
Near this crossroads
was once the flourishing community of Fairview. The village began
shortly after the Civil War, when Henry Hudson opened a store on the
Old Oakville Road. A post office was established in the store in 1868.
Fairview grew to include homes, churches, doctors' offices, a blacksmith
shop, cotton gin, public school, Masonic Lodge, and telephone exchange.
The area's economy was based on agriculture, and the main crop was
cotton. The advent of the boll
weevil and other pests which attacked the cotton crop played a
large part in the eventual decline of the town following World
Fairview was the hometown of twenty-seven Texas peace officers, including
twenty Texas Rangers. Among the Rangers was Frank Hamer (1884-1955),
who is best remembered for his role in pursuing notorious Depression-era
Parker and Clyde Barrow.
Still remaining and in use in the area is the Fairview Cemetery, originally
called the Rock Church Cemetery due to its position next to a Methodist
church built in the 1870s. With grave markers dating from the 1860s,
it is one of the few remaining physical reminders of the town.
(on FM 2505, S of Fairview):
1876, holding services in schoolhouse until building site was given
by W. F. and Jennie Mitchell and J. F. and Martha Prewitt. A small
red rock meeting house was built, serving until wrecked by tropical
storm in 1886. In 1891, during pastorate of the Rev. A. J. King, the
members built a frame structure, which in turn was wrecked by a storm
in 1942. Out of the ruins, third building was constructed in 1943.
Fairview congregation merged with Floresville
church in 1955.
Memorial services are held each year at Fairview Cemetery.
The Gilliland ranch was about 2 miles down the road from Fairview
Herf Carnes and Pat Craighead
County 1907 Postal Map showing Fairview as Fair View
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact