in a Pecan Shell
George West was a rancher who had dreams of building his own town.
He settled in the area in the early 1900s, and in 1912 he granted
a right-of-way to the railroad, insuring that his town would have
a good chance of surviving. The railroad (The San Antonio, Uvalde
and Gulf) came to town the following year. Mr. West built most every
building in the town including the power plant.
Although the population was a mere 200 people in 1925 - oil and gas
discoveries brought an additional 800 people to town by 1929. Uranium
was discovered in the 1950s and George West experienced a little growth
because of it. The population has held around the 2,600 mark for the
last 20 years.
Oak County Courthouse
400 N. Nueces (US 281).
Former home of George West's nephew.
Today houses the George West Chamber of Commerce.
On Highway 281 - just south of town
- In Live Oak County Courthouse
Oak County Towns & Ghost Towns
> Book Here
Hotel Emporium (a
renovated 1919 hotel)
100 Houston St. (Business US 59)
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, August 2011
TE Photo, 2004
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact