County Seat, South
Highways 16, 97, and 173
5 miles SW of Pleasanton
36 miles S of San Antonio
3755 (2000) 3,732 (1990)
in a Pecan Shell|
While Col. T. H. Zanderson is credited with
founding the town in 1909, the name comes from that of Jourdan Campbell, who drew
the blueprint for the railroad (the Artesian Belt) showing the town as a proposed
stop. Citizens of Jourdanton raised a $50,000 to lure the railroad into bringing
their main line into town.
Lots were auctioned off and cattle and cotton
were soon being shipped to San Antonio
from the Jourdanton depot. By 1914, with a population of 1,200, Jourdanton was
a thriving town.
It experienced a ten-year decline which ended in the
mid 20s. For the 1930 Census, Jourdanton was down to 767 residents.
Oil was discovered in 1942 which lead another period of growth. The 1952 population
reached a new high of 1,483. In 1956 the 1909 courthouse was remodeled. In 1965
Jourdanton reported 1,990 residents. The railroad stopped running in the 1960s.
Catholic Church in Jourdanton |
Photo courtesy texasoldphotos.com
main street scene, showing the J. C. Applewhite Bakery, far left, early 1900s.
Photo courtesy texasoldphotos.com|
by Mike Cox ("Texas Tales" Column)