PARK , TEXAS
Bexar County, South
12 Miles N of Downtown of San
in a Pecan ShellA
few years after settlement in the late 1870s, a post office under the name of
Shavano opened in the store of A. De Zavala. The San Antonio and Aransas
Pass Railroad appeared in 1884, and installed a switch and made Shavano a stop
on their line.
The community, which had an estimated population of 50,
was also a stop on the stage line between San
Antonio and Boerne. The town
had 100 residents in 1890 and remained there until the mid 1890s when it entered
a decline. The town suffered from its proximity to San
Antonio and the post office closed its doors in 1903.
Most of the
land was acquired by rancher George Arthur Stowers whose heirs retained the property
until it was sold for development after WWII.
Shavano was officially renamed Shavano Park and incorporated in June of 1956.
From a population of only a few hundred in the 1950s, it grew to 585 by the mid
1960s and 1,775 by 1990. It appears on the 2006 map of Texas as having 1,754 residents.