|Church of Visitation
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, August 2005
in Pecan Shell
Westphalia has ties with Frelsburg
in Colorado County.
Some of the Germans who immigrated to Frelsburg
and New Ulm (in neighboring
split off and went west. Some founded Oldenburg
and others went Northwest to Falls County where they founded Westphalia.
This move involved thirteen families from Frelsburg
and occurred in the year 1878. By 1895 they had completed the
massive Church of Visitation on 100 acres of land.
A school was added which is still in use.
The Old Store, somewhat swaybacked with age, still stands, unvarnished,
unpainted, and open. Both the store and the post office were opened
in 1887. Since 1906 the mail has come through Lott
Mailbox at The
Old Store in Westphalia
TE Photo, 2001
by Clay Coppedge
Even in Texas, more people probably know more about the song 'Westphalia
Waltz' than they know about the town of Westphalia, the song's namesake.
Other than the song, the Falls County community of Westphalia is best
known for its annual homecoming and picnic. About 5,000 people show
up every second Sunday in October for the fried chicken and sausage
meals. Many stay into the evening to enjoy the down home ambience
of a town the German immigrants named in honor of Westphalia Province
The town's church, the Church of the Visitation, is notable as the
oldest wooden church in the state.
The highway that leads to Westphalia, Highway 320, is notable as the
shortest state highway in Texas. more
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact