a Pecan Shell
Once part of the
F. Austin Colony, the community didn’t develop until the 1890s
when Fort Bend County
landowner Freeman Irby Booth arrived, and opened a store. Booth also
opened a lumberyard, cotton gin and syrup mill.
A post office opened in 1894 when the population was estimated at
150. It doubled by 1914 and the town received telephone service as
well as a bank.
From 1925 through the Great Depression and WWII,
Booth’s population remained steady at 100 residents. By the late 1940s
it had fallen to a mere 40 residents and has remained under 100. The
1990 census reported 60 citizens.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and photos, please contact