Texas Gulf Coast
aka Clute City
29°1'34"N 95°23'40"W (29.026060, -95.394539)
Between highways 332 and 227
10 miles S of Angleton
Population: 11,211 (2010) 10,424 (2000) 8,910 (1990)
in the 1920s
Photo courtesy texasoldphotos.com
in a Pecan Shell
Originally a plantation, the community was started when Joseph Pegan,
Soloman J. Clute, and George and John Clute built here after the Civil
War. More land was acquirred in the 1870s and by the mid 1880s the
land was know as Clute's Place.
In 1933 the town had only ten people and two businesses. In 1940 Clute
became part of the Brazosport industrial and port area and grew accordingly.
The population was 700 by 1950 and by the mid fifties there were over
A post office opened in 1943 and a new elementary school went up in
the mid fifties. In 1952 Clute incorporated as Clute City.
Three years later it was changed back to Clute. By 1980 the residents
decided they liked Clute City after all and changed the name back.
In 1970 there were 7,000 people calling the place home. In 2004 the
population has reached its highest point to date: 10,424.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact