Once known as Stapp, Texas or Berry's Creek
2338 and FM 970
5 miles SW of Florence
25 est. (2000)
in a Pecan Shell|
Originally named Stapp for a settler who built a log school/ church building
in 1857, the next big event occured in 1876 when store owner Andrew Jackson, was
appointed postmaster of the Berry's Creek post office ( which closed after 3 years).
The Reverend Wm. Isaac Newton, applied for a new post office in 1899,
submitting the application for his son Audice. The name was misread and the approval
came back for Andice.
In 1929 Andice had a population estimated at 150.
It reached its zenith in 1931 with about 200 Andicians, then fell to a mere 50
by 1933. In 1941 it was back up to 190, but from 1970 until 1990 it was reported
at on 25.
during a snow storm in 1925. This is the same general area of the present-day
yellow post office. Photo courtesy Howard A Tucker||