|History in a Pecan
at the junction of Plummer and Kiowa creeks, the town had been originally named
Lourwood after Opal Lourwood, the first child born there. Things took off
in 1919-20 when the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway was completed. About that time
Lourwood was renamed after Texas legislator John Louis Darrouzett, who was also
a lawyer for the Santa Fe Railroad. People in Sunset, Oklahoma moved across the
state line for the advantages that the rail connection provided.
Darrouzett's population of 425 had their own school, two churches and the post
office. The Darrouzett Cooperative Association was formed and by 1930 the town
had several grain elevators built to promote the town as a center for grain. Darrouzett
was once billed as "the best paved town per capita of the Panhandle."
The 1984 population of 444 has declined to the present 303.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact