on a Pinhead
Named for rancher John Pettit who founded his ranch here (1922) on land previously
owned by the famed Yellow House and Slaughter ranches.
The town’s first
store opened in the mid 1920s and later that decade a gin was opened. A post office
opened its doors in 1935 and the region had its own school district from the late
20s until the mid 1960s when it merged with Llevelland
The postwar population remained below 100 and despite the founding of the Great
Plains Boys Ranch in the late 1950s, the community has been in a slow decline
since. In 1976 there was still a gin and a post office at Pettit. In 1980 the
population was given as 26 and remained there through 1990. The town no longer
appears on the state map and the 2000 population is unknown.
This is the school at Pettit Texas. Pettit is in northern Hockley County.
The school was active from 1928-1964, when it consolidated with Llevelland.
Taylor, October 08, 2008
Hockley County map showing Pettit|
"O" in "H-O-C-K-L-E-Y")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
Texas Town A to Z
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels