| History in
a Pecan Shell
Originally named Pleasant Valley, the name was first rejected
by postal authorities since it was already taken. When the application
was resubmitted it bore the name of postmaster William Burkett. The
year was 1886 and the "settlers" were mostly cowboys of the McClennan
ranch, who established a community around H. Sackett's store.
By 1940 the town had a thriving population of 200 along with five
businesses. The high school consolidated in 1957 with the Coleman
Plains ISDs and the population declined accordingly. By the 1980s
Burkett still had their post office, a community center, a gas station,
Note: Burkett is interesting. The old bridge should be
closed. Even two pickups would brush mirrors on it. Interesting how
many old bridges have pilings of even older bridges still in place.
Gibson, April 10, 2008
view of the Thru Truss Bridge