|History in a Pecan
a few early settlers occupied the site in the 1890s, the community acknowledges
J. F. Willingham and family as the founders. The Willinghams arrived here between
1906 and 1908.
A one-room school that doubled as a church was in operation
soon after the Willinghams arrived and a post office was opened in 1925. The school
was called Plainview, but when that name was submitted it was rejected because
the Hale County seat of government
was already using it.
The application was resubmitted bearing the current
name (for Lenorah Epley, a county clerk may or may not have had a hand in submitting
the application). Things were quiet in this part of West Texas and Lenorah rode
out the Great Depression as a farming community with about the same troubles as
other West Texas communities. After WWII,
the Lenorah school merged with Grady, Texas.
infusion of cash came with oil discoveries in the region in the 1950s. In 1990
the town still had two operating gins as well as the post office and two other
stores. The 1980 census counted 70 residents which was unchanged in 2000.