on a Pinhead
The town acquired
a post office in 1909. The first postmaster, Luther Lawrence modestly
submitted his first name to postal authorities.
Nothing of historical note seems to have occurred in Luther, so all
that's left are population figures. Luther had a mere five people
served by a single business in the mid 1930s. By 1947 the community
had three businesses serving ninety residents. The population was
335 in the mid 1960s and that number has been used through the 2000
census. The post office closed in 1972.
| "The (above)
cover is a return payment envelope and suggests a Gulf service station
in the community. By the way, the post office closed back in 1972."
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact