in a Pecan Shell|
Truscott had (in 1880) once been named China Lake for a grove of Chinaberry
trees growing along a small lake.
With the organization of the county
the name was changed to honor pioneer J. Truscott, an early settler.
Truscott was the first teacher of the Truscott school, established in 1888. The
one-room schoolhouse served until 1907, when it burned.
That same year
the town moved a mile to be on the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway.
The Truscott school burned in1945, and even after a new school was built,
enrollment decreased to the point where it closed.
Truscott was an aberration
during the Great Depression when the population doubled from 250 in 1930 to 500
By1980 Truscott was on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe line
and reported 187 residents.
wall in downtown Truscott|
Photo courtesy of Tom Walker
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact