At just over 2000 feet above sea level, the name (Spanish
for: High Hill) applies. The community dates from February 1906 when
three brothers named Davis brought their families here to start ranching.
At one time the tiny community had a store / gas station. But the
community didn't grow. The 2000 census managed to count thirty residents.
"This is a different Loma Alta from Loma
Alta in McMullen
County. The station is still open and is about 39 miles NNE of
Del Rio on US 277.
|Loma Alta Store
/ Gas Station
Photo courtesy of Barclay
Gibson, June 2014
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact