Upton County, West
FM 3095 and FM 2401
Just South of the Midland County Line
SE of Midland and Odessa
Population: 00098 (2000)
Texas Area Hotels > Midland
in a Pecan Shell
Donít look for
any 19th Century history for present-day Midkiff. There isnít any.
There was an earlier community by that name in the region (in Midland
County) named after rancher John Rufus Midkiff. With the discovery
of oil in 1950, wags submitted the name Hadacol (a well-known
cough syrup) Corners on the application for a post office.
It was promptly rejected and Midkiff was taken down from the shelf,
dusted off and put back into use when the post office opened its doors
Although there were only 20 residents throughout the 1950s, it is
reported that the community had some 40 structures, including three
churches in the 1960s. The number of residents reached 84 in 1968.
The 2000 census showed a population of 98 with some 19 businesses.
Corners and The Doctor by Barbara Duvall Wesolek
"Hadacol Corners, at a lonely crossroads on the desolate West
Texas desert, consisted of four temporary buildings joined together
that could be moved on later to another oil field...more"
Railroad Map showing Midkiff just N of Upton County line
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact