yards west is site of ghost town Wentworth"
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, June 2014
a Pecan Shell
even before the official formation of Sutton County. A.T. Winkler
and family, survivors of the devastating Ben Ficklin flood, moved
here in 1884. Winkler drilled a water well which attracted the attention
of settlers and a community soon formed. Being literal folk, the community
took the name Winklerís Well.
The year 1887 was a big one for Sutton County. It was officially separated
from Crockett County and a rivalry for county seat arose between Winklerís
Well and Sonora.
To curry favor with the owner of the countyís largest ranch, Winklerís
Well changed its name to honor rancher P.A. Wentworth.
That year, the newly renamed Wentworth had twenty families in residence
as well as a store, school, church and Masonic Lodge (the last three
sharing a single building).
Sonora won the county seat
in 1890 and residents moved the two miles into Sonora.
Within a year almost everyone had vacated Wentworth. Included was
the Masonic Lodge.
The post office, which operated as Wentworth in 1890, closed its doors
the following year. After a few years of life in Sonora,
many denizens pined for the good old days. They attempted a renewal
for Wentworth, but it was too late. Wentworth started disappearing
from maps around the turn of the century.
Marker about 3.5 miles SW of Sonora
on US 277.
Situated in 1880s
at water well of A. J. Winkler, who platted townsite, gave title bond,
and named place for Fort Terrett area rancher P. H. Wentworth. The
residents occupied tents and picket homes. Principal building was
two-story school, church, and hall of Dee Ora Lodge No. 715, A.F.
& A.M. Town had a post office Aug. 1890 - Aug. 1891. Postmaster was
Thomas Stevenson, uncle of a future Texas governor. Losing 1891 county
seat election to Sonora,
Wentworth citizens moved away.
Lodge hall, relocated late 1891 in Sonora,
served as school and community building until 1938.