History in a Pecan
the town’s namesake, stopped his wagon train here prior to the Civil War and returned
in later years to open a general store. It became a hub on a cluster of stagecoach
routes including connections to Waco, Cleburne,
Granbury and Stephenville.
As the railroad came through the region, stagecoach lines were made obsolete.
The Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railroad connected Cresson with Granbury
in 1887, the same year it was granted a post office.
was given a substantial boost by its railroad connections to Fort
Worth and Granbury. By
1890 Cresson was only able to count 35 people but by 1896 it had increased to
an even one hundred people.
Cresson continued to gather most essential
businesses and by 1904 the population had reached 279 where it was reported for
decades. But it fell into a decline and by 1988, it was back to 200. For both
1990 and 2000, the population has been given as 208.
Cresson School Historical Marker|
Gibson, August 2013
" Cresson in located mostly near the northeast corner of Hood
County. A smaller portion of Cresson is at the northwest corner of Johnson County.
It is a busy little town being at the intersection of two major highways, US 377
and TX 171." - Barclay
Johnson County map showing Cresson|
"J" in "JOHNSON")
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact