a Pecan Shell
Center Point and Rabbit Hill were the separate communities that became
one when the Houston and Texas Central Railway arrived in 1871.
In 1883 the" town" was very rural and it wasn't granted a post office
until 1901. (See 1902 postmark below)
Growth was non-existant and the post office closed in 1907. It wasn't
until the discovery of oil in 1921 that the post office was reestablished.
The boom was short-lived. Nevertheless, Currie had a population of
125 in 1958. The post office closed again sometime prior to that date
and by 1970 there were only 25 people.
A Visit to
|1907 TX Postal
Map showing Currie (Southern Navarro
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact