a Pecan Shell|
Named for a Sherman, Texas banker named C.
B. Dorchester, the town was founded in the late 188s – and like its neighbor of
Gunter, Dorchester was also alongside the rails
of the St. Louis, San Francisco and Texas Railroad.
The town was granted
a post office in 1896. Dorchester prospered and even in the mid-1930s it maintained
a respectable count of 400 residents. The decline may have come later, but it
did come. A year prior to the 1990 Census it was only 222 residents which declined
to just over one hundred for the 2000 Census.
Photos courtesy Mike
Note: Not a lot here- most of feed mill not visable to right of road. - Mike
Price, September 29, 2007||