a Pecan ShellEmhouse
began when the Trinity and Brazos River Valley Railroad was building a line connecting
Waxahachie with Teague
(around 1906). Originally the town was called Lyford but when a post office
was applied for it was discovered that there was one
in Willacy County.
The name was changed to honor the railroad superintendent
Edward M. House, creatively fusing his middle initial and last name.
smaller communities of Kelm and King Willow relocated for the convenience
the railroad offered. The post office opened in 1908.
By 1914 Emhouse
had a population of 500 with churches for four denominations, five groceries,
three general stores and its own newspaper.
Emhouse prospered until the
arrival of the Great Depression. By 1936 the population had declined to just 322.
The decline continued until it reached 150 by the mid 1960s – where it has remained
(more or less) ever since.