town of Evant traces its history to an earlier settlement in this area. Langford
Cove, founded in 1855 by Asa Langford (1820-1970), was located adjacent to and
partly within the south boundary of the present town of Evant. A United States
Post Office was authorized in 1876 under the name Cove. Evan T. Brooks and his
family arrived in the area in 1876. In 1881 Brooks platted a townsite which was
filed in Hamilton County records as Brooksville. The same plat appeared in Coryell
County records in 1884 as Evant, so named from a combination of Brooks' first
name and middle initial. Streets and blocks were carefully planned, including
a town square. The Cove post office was transferred to Evant and renamed in 1885.
In 1878 a one-room plank schoolhouse was erected on land donated by Asa Langford
in 1875. It was replaced in 1888 by a stone structure which, with additions and
modifications, served Evant Independent School District until 1976. Over the years,
businesses were established and churches and community groups were organized.
The citizens of Evant voted to incorporate in an election held in December 1976.|
Evant Historical Marker