Jack County Courthouse as it appeared in 1940 |
Photo courtesy of TXDoT
Jack County Courthouse Today|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, December 2005
Jack County Courthouse Back View|
Photo courtesy Terry
Jeanson, April 2006
The 1886 Jack
County Courthouse -
- J.E. Flanders
Style - Second Empire
Material - native limestone
Stones from the 1886 courthouse were used to build Jacksboro City Hall.
1886 Jack County courthouse. |
Xerox copy courtesy of the county clerk's office
in the current county courthouse.
bell and cornerstone from the 1886 Jack County courthouse are now displayed on
the front lawn of the current courthouse. |
Historical marker for the 1886 Jack County courthouse bell and cornerstone. Photos
Jeanson, April 2006|
Marker Text |
Jack County Courthouse CornerstoneRemoved
1885 from third Jack County Courthouse when building was razed. Mounted here in
1966. Old Courthouse was of native limestone, quarried in Jacksboro.
For its day, workmanship and stone of finest quality. Bell is also a relic of
the third courthouse. It was part of the mechanism in the building's clock tower,
and was mounted in frame here by Jacksboro firemen.
Marker - at Courthouse west entrance, Jacksboro|
1856. Organized 1857. Named for W. H. and P. C. Jack, brothers and patriots in
the Texas Revolution. Butterfield Overland Mail, 1858-1861, had 3 stage stops
in county. In 1861, Jack County voted against secession, 76-14. Most men fought
in frontier units. Some were Confederates; others joined Federal army. Fort
Richardson was established in 1867. In 1871 near Jacksboro, Kiowas
massacred Warren Wagon Train teamsters. General of the Army W. T. Sherman,
then at the fort, sent General Ranald S. MacKenzie, commander, to arrest the Indians.
Chiefs Satanta and Big Tree were convicted in first non-tribal trials of Plains
Indians in North Texas.
By 1875 MacKenzie's raiders had opened West Texas
for settlement. A Corn Club founded in Jacksboro by County Agent Tom Marks on
September 8, 1907, was the forerunner of the International 4-H Clubs. Fort
Richardson, with 7 original buildings standing, is now a Recorded Texas
Historic Landmark. Museum is open the year round.
Other attractions include
circular high school building and old limestones on square, Jacksboro.
Recreation centers about lakes, parks, campgrounds. Economy is based on agriculture,
oil, cattle, sheep, and goats.