History in a Pinhead
John Martin, the community’s first postmaster submitted a possessive variation
of his first name on the post office application.
Early historical information
is unavailable but county historians in Stephenville
undoubtedly know something. The first population figures come from the
1940 census when fifty residents were counted.
Somewhere along the line,
Johnsville’s post office closed and by 1980 the estimated population was a mere
twenty-five. That same number has been used through 2000.
Cemetery The community
of Johnsville, settled before 1860, was named for John Z. Martin when he was appointed
first postmaster in 1901. Once a thriving village on the main road from Stephenville
to Glen Rose, Johnsville consisted
of general stores, a cotton gin, blacksmith shop, fraternal lodges, a school,
a church, and numerous homes. The oldest graves in Johnsville Cemetery are those
of the two infant children of Curtis and Annie (Cox) Burks and of W. B. and Mary
(Smith) Cox. The children are believed to have died in 1907 and 1910. In 1910
Edward and Martha (Shaw) Cox sold 1.5 acres of land adjoining the Christian church
for use as a cemetery. The church was then almost fifteen years old.
from all walks of life settled in the area; teachers, Masons, blacksmiths, merchants,
soldiers, preachers, farmers, mothers, fathers, children, and many others created
the community known as Johnsville. Many of them and their descendants were interred
here in the Johnsville Cemetery.
In 1948 the Johnsville School was consolidated
with schools in Pony Creek and Chalk
Mountain to form the Three Way School District. By 1997, only the Church of
Christ (formerly called the Christian Church) and the cemetery remained as a record
of the area's pioneer settlement. The Johnsville Cemetery continues to serve the
Johnsville Cemetery Historical
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, August 2013
Johnsville is on CR206 just west of FM 2481, 4 miles north of Duffau.
Erath County map showing Johnsville,
SE of Stephenville|
"H" in "ERATH")
Texas General Land Office