in a Pecan Shell
The community had been settled before the
Civil War but wasnít platted until 1887. After a brief stint as Lawn City
and then Lawndale, Texas, the town underwent itís last change of name in
1900 after Lawndale was bypassed by the railroad.
Less than a mile separated
Lawndale from the tracks of the Southern Pacific. The landowners who gave the
railroad right-of-way were named Mason and Eubanks, so their names were cobbled
together to form Mabank, a new community.
was platted in early 1900 and received a post office later that year. For a short
time Lawndale and Mabank o-existed but as always, the economic clout of the railroad
connection doomed the unconnected community. In ten short years Mabank had a respectable
population of just over 400 residents and most essential businesses, including
a canning plan, newspaper and library.
The town became a cotton shipping
point prior to WWI although it declined
after boll weevil infestations in the 1920s. The population grew to over 950 Ė
even as the Great Depression depleted other towns.
The community also retained
its population after WWII.
It was just under 1,000 in the mid 1960s.
After the construction of Cedar
Creek Lake in 1965, the population swelled to 1,500 by the mid 1970s and the 1990
census counted over 1,700 residents.