TexasEscapes.com  
HOME : : NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : TEXAS HOTELS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : BUILDINGS : : IMAGES : : ARCHIVE : : SITE MAP
PEOPLE : : PLACES : : THINGS : : HOTELS : : VACATION PACKAGES
TEXAS TOWNS
Texas Escapes
Online Magazine

MIDLOTHIAN, TEXAS

Ellis County, North Central Texas

Highway 287
7 mile NE of Venus
9 miles NW of Waxahachie
25 miles SW of Dallas
Population: 18,639 (2010) 7,480 (2000)

Book Hotel Here > Midlothian Hotels

Cotton Wagons in Downtown Midlothian, Texas
 
Cotton Wagons in Downtown Midlothian
Photo courtesy of Ellis County Historical Museum
 
Downtown Midlothian, Texas
Downtown Midlothian today
Photo courtesy Bob Worley, November 2005
 
History in a Pecan Shell

Previous names include Hawkin's Spring and Barker (after the post office).

The name is said to have been suggested by a homesick Scottish train engineer after his hometown in the old country. The change was made in 1882 or 1883 when the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway railroad arrived.

Settlement dated back to 1800, but full-blown colonization didn't start until peace treaties with hostile Indians were put in place in 1843. First families included the William Alden Hawkins and Larkin Newton families who received grants authorized by the Peters colony in 1848. (See cabin photo)
Historic log cabin in Midlothian, Texas
The log cabin

Photo courtesy Bob Worley, Nov. 2005
A log cabin with an earthen floor was the community's first school, church, and community hall.

A post office was granted under the name Barker, Texas in 1877.

Populations of Midlothian for various years: 1884: 300, 1892: 600 to 800, 1896: 1,000, 1950s: 1,175, 1980s: 5,087, 1990s: 5,141, and currently 7,480 (2004).

Midlothian was incorporated in April 1888 when at least twenty-five essential businesses were in operation, including a millinery, confectionery, bakery, and a weekly newspaper ( the Midlothian Visitor).

In Kimmel Park a private boarding school called The Polytechnic Academy is remembered by a historical marker. It later became the Polytechnic Institute and then the Whitten Institute and Midlothian College before merging with the town's public schools in 1903.

By 1896 Midlothian was thriving with sixty-two businesses. Two years later the Midlothian Oil Mill and Gin Company opened - operating fourteen gins at its peak.

In the mid-1970s Midlothian started becoming a bedroom community of Dallas and Fort Worth although the downtown area has retained it's charm with the restoration of many of it's historic buildings.

In the 1980s Midlothian became known as "The Cement Capitol of Texas."

Though Midlothian proper was left essentially unchanged, the school district has expanded greatly.
Trades Day in Midlothian, Texas c 1915
Trades Day in Midlothian c. 1915

Photo courtesy Ellis County Historical Museum
Midlothian, Texas firehouse
The fire house

Photo courtesy Bob Worley, Nov. 2005
Midlothian, Texas, Cement Capitol of Texas sign
Midlothian
Cement Capitol of Texas

Photo courtesy Bob Worley, Nov. 2005
Historic Buildings:
  • Midlothian Depot
  • William & Emma Hawkins House
  • Midlothian Area Recreation

  • Joe Pool Lake
    Joe Pool Lake is a 7, 400-acre impoundment with a 64 mile shoreline that serves as a reservoir for Midlothian. The northeastern corner is in the city limits of Dallas, and most of the remainder is in Grand Prairie, but the lake also touches city limits of Cedar Hill, Mansfield, and Midlothian.
  • TX Ellis County 1920s Map
    1920s Ellis County map showing Midlothian
    (NW of
    Waxahachie) near Dallas County line
    Courtesy Texas General Land Office

    Midlothian, Texas
    Area Destinations:

    Waxahachie
    Dallas
    See Ellis County
    See North Central Texas
    Book Hotel Here:
    Dallas Hotels
    Midlothian Hotels
    More Hotels

    More Texas Towns & Hotels:
    Texas Towns
    Texas Ghost Towns
    Texas
    Texas Hotels

    Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic photos, please contact us.

    Custom Search
    TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
    HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | HOTELS | SEARCH SITE
    TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

    Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
    TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | FORTS | MAPS

    Texas Attractions
    TEXAS FEATURES
    People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
    COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

    TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
    Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
    Vintage Photos

    TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | USA | MEXICO

    Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
    Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes. All Rights Reserved