in a Pecan shell
Cheap land prices (.50 an acre) in the 1850s attracted
an influx of settlers who migrated from Cherokee
In 1854, a townsite was set up on high ground and named Milford.
William R. Hudson, the town's developer had read about a thriving town in
Massachusetts and named the community after it. Hudson's combined residence and
general store, was built; Hudson built a store/residence/post office.
In 1892 Milford's population reached 800. It was home to a community-financed
school called the Milford Academy and the other with the seemingly fictitious
name of Mollie Poe's Private Lone Star Institute.
building serving multiple community functions was burned during the Civil War.
The Dallas and Waco Railway reached Milford when they had a population of
just 150 and in the 20th Century, Milford became a stop on the Waco - Dallas
In 1902 a Presbyterian College for women
opened although it closed in 1929 - an early victim to the Great Depression.
The population peaked at 1,200 in 1929 - falling to just 717 in 1931. It
reached rock-bottom in 1968 when only 490 Milfordians called the town home.
Street Milford, Texas Circa 1908
of Bill Parrish, Meadow Vista, CA.
out at the icehouse, Milford, Texas|
Note Dr. Pepper sign
sidewalk, and dentist office|
drug store and church|
entire postcard showing main street Milford||