in a Pecan Shell
community was established in the early 1860s but under the slightly different
spelling of Minton. A post office named Milton was opened in 1874 although it
closed in 1907.
The 1890s seem to have been the town’s years of growth
when Milton had a general store, a dry goods store, and two gins that also operated
Although no early population figures are available, Milton
had 300 people for the 1930 census. That seems to have been the town’s peak.
WWII a severe decline occurred
with all of the town’s businesses lost. By the 1970s the town was a near ghost
with only scattered residences and the church and cemetery.
The 1990 census counted 50 residents which increased to 80 for the 2000 count.
|Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate