a Pecan Shell
The town received a post office in 1894 (which closed in 1905).
This would mean that the town was not named after the planet (discovered
in the late 1930s) but after the Greek God of Hades.
In 1896 the
town had a bustling population of 200 Putonians and three doctors
who kept them healthy - perhaps with Pluto water. The town seems
to have suffered no disasters or calamities, but the population
drifted away in time - leaving just 34 residents - the reported
population from the 1930s to the mid 40s. New residents have moved
in in recent years, and Pluto remains listed as a community although
it no longer appears on state or county maps.
The post office closed in 1905. Today mail is routed through Milford.
From the early 1930s through the mid 1940s the population stood
at 34 residents before slowly declining to the present 15 residents.