History in a
Founded in the 1870s, the community grew alongside the Bonham
to Greenville Road. In 1882 the
community’s first church was built and within two years a post office had been
granted. The post office closed its doors in 1887, the same year the community
was bypassed by the railroad.
In 1898 the Portland Church was organized
and met in the community school. It received its own building in 1909. An annual
homecoming has been held since the mid 1960s. It is scheduled for the first Sunday
It appears that there never was a distinct business district
due to its proximity to Bonham and Bailey.
No historic or current population statistics are available.
"What is left of Portland is located on FM 1552 9 miles south
of Bonham or about 1.5 miles NE of Bailey."