Rhome Ranch letterhead|
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
| History in a Pecan
A group of former Missourians can be credited with founding
Rhome. It dates from the late 1850s when it was then known as Prairie Point.
The spot was the juncture of two stage lines – a natural spot for town founding.
A post office opened in 1858 and within a few years the community was second only
But by 1863 the community was all but deserted. In 1882 the railroad
arrived (nearby) and the town was renamed after rancher Byron C. Rhome.
A new post office opened under the new name in 1883.
The town had 175 residents
in the early 1890s and was home to two flour mills – one of which produced a product
called Gold Medal flour. The name was acquired in the 1930s by General
Mills – and can still be found on grocery shelves.
Highway 81 was built
through Rhome in the late 1930s and population estimates have stayed within the
400-600 range until the 1990 census when it reached 605. The 2000 census shows
a slight decline to 551.
"Pure Bred Hereford Cattle" - Rhome Ranch letterhead|
General Land Office
Animals | Ranching
Mill On Old Mill Street|
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, February 2007