Farm Road 895
3 miles NE of Charleston
in a Pecan Shell|
The name is a corruption of Velasco, the
name requested from the postal authorities. Rather than have the town resubmit
the name (there was another Velasco in Texas) the postal authorities merely altered
Mrs. O. C. Anderson opened the post office in 1903 and
by 1905 a school with the name of Long Branch School opened – serving 66 students.
The town was bypassed by the railroads and never prospered. Its post office
closed in 1907, but the school adopted the name Vasco in 1921.
county highway map showed the community as a business, a church, and a cluster
of dwellings at the junction of several dirt roads between Dry Creek and Lake
Creek. The population at that time was 25.
In 1939 the school merged
with three others to form the East Delta school district.
in 1952 was a reported 40 people. By 1963 the school had closed, leaving three
businesses and a few scattered farms.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact